Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Save RadioU

I read the letters to the editor on a daily basis. I have often been tempted to write my own letter to the editor, but I never have. There is finally a cause that I am passionate enough about to send in my own letter to the editor. I have not officially sent this in (will tonight) so I am posting this for two reasons. First, I want to get the word out to whoever will listen that RadioU will cease to play in this area in a few short days. Second, I want feedback on my article because I am a little nervous about everyone in the community reading my opinion (that's ironic, I post them on here all of the time.)


Keep RadioU on Grant County Airwaves

This letter is in response to the June 23rd article regarding Indiana Wesleyan taking over the 94.3 radio station, currently known as RadioU. Randall King, director of broadcast media at IWU, states in the article that starting in September, the station will “offer a mix of contemporary Christian music and locally based programming.” In addition, the article states that the station will be off the air from July 1 until September. As an avid listener and financial supporter of RadioU, I am very concerned about the possibility of RadioU becoming unavailable to this area. In addition to the thirtysomethings like me who listen to RadioU, I’m sure there is many more high school and college aged people in Marion who make this their primary radio station. In fact, when I have been in the Indiana Wesleyan locker room, I have heard RadioU playing over the speaker. There are already several radio stations available in this area that play contemporary Christian music; WBCL is one well-known example. RadioU is the only music station in this area that offers Christian rock and alternative music. RadioU is a ministry to the local high school and college students, not only by the music that is played but also by the programming that targets this age group. The station is 100% listener supported, so in between songs, listeners hear encouraging sound bits, testimonies from musicians, and music news regarding their favorite bands instead of commercials. There is a help line that listeners may call for support. I’m sure there are many people in the Marion area like me who financially support RadioU and their ministry. I hope through community members like me, IWU realizes the impact RadioU has on the younger generation of Grant County and decides to keep this wonderful ministry opportunity on Grant County airwaves.

3 Comments:

Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Sounds good - - - but are you sure it really should all be just one paragraph?

June 28, 2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

comment #8, Funny Lady's new post

June 28, 2007 2:37 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I wasn't sure of the format for letters to the editor. Good point - I will break it up.

June 28, 2007 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home