Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Phenomenon of the School Closing

We are on the tail end of a two day school closing due to "inclement weather," and as this little unplanned mini vacation comes to an end, I would like to map out the vicious cycle that occurs when such a situation occurs.

The craze began Monday at work as the rumors started to fly. "Did you hear about all of the snow we are supposed to get? I heard up to 16 inches!" "Do you think we will have a delay or be closed tomorrow?" The staff was working itself into a giddy frenzy as the possibility loomed that we may not have to report to work the next day. This is so interesting, because don't we all love our jobs? I am one that doesn't buy into the weather rumors; in fact, I find them rather amusing. But by mid-afternoon, I gave in and called a couple of my appointments scheduled for the next day and let them know that in case of a school closing, we would have to reschedule our appointment. By the time I was heading home, I was starting to feel a little excitement myself.

After watching the news when I got home, I decided that I should probably make a trip to the store to stock up on some essentials. I had heard the horror stories at work about how the parking lot at Wal-Mart looked like the day before Christmas, so I headed to Lances instead. Sure, I may pay a little more, but the convenience was worth it. Apparently, several other people had already decided to avoid Wal-Mart and hit Lances, because I couldn't find any bread, and the only gallons of milk left were fat free skim and vitamin D. I grabbed the last vitamin D (yuk!) I couldn't bring myself to pay $2.00 for a half gallon of 1%.

I headed home, locked the door behind me, and the family settled down for a nice cozy winter storm. There was almost a calm, serene feeling about what may take place. Barring our power going out, we had all that we needed to enjoy this little break from reality and spend some quality family time together. We even had bought (actually gotten for free with coupon) some Nestle hot cocoa, and Elizabeth was excited to put some Reddi-whip and chocolate chips on top to make a nice winter treat.

Though Marion did not announce a delay or closing Monday evening, I let the girls stay up a little later, and I stayed up until almost midnight playing Pengapop. I was really banking on the prediction that this snowstorm was going to happen. When I went to bed, I had my phone tree sheet by the bedside, and Jason and I worked out a surefire plan to quickly call everyone. I would get the call from Michelle, then he would hand me the phone, flip on the nightlight, I would call my phone tree person, the babysitter, and my intern, and within seconds we would be back to sleep. In anticipation, I didn't sleep well, and when I did sleep, I dreamed scenarios that involved getting "the call." Thankfully, at 5:30 the call came in, and as planned the night before, I made my three calls quickly. However, the adrenaline rush that went through me after receiving the call kept me up an extra hour. I felt like a high school kid again, receiving a cancellation call on the day of a big test. This is ridiculous - you would think I dread going to my job.

I got out of bed around 9:30, excited for a day of relaxation, a day of catching up the laundry and doing a few little projects (if I felt like it,) and most importantly a day of spending time with the kids and Jason (who closed his office.) And what a day it was. The laundry was caught up. We played Clue until Miss Scarlet, Colonel Mustard, Rev. Green, Mrs. White, and Professor Plum were all the murderers. We played Jenga. We played even more Pengapop. We watched all of our taped crime shows. We watched the weather, sports center, ESPN classic, more weather, and as the snow fell, we realized we may be looking at another day inside.

Yesterday evening, however, was not quite so serene. The kids were still wanting to play games, and we wanted to relax. However, we had relaxed so much during the day, that we didn't know what we could do that would make us relax. TV watching became boring. The computer was mundane. I actually got out Happy Feet, a playstation game Anna had received for her birthday, and the four of us sat for 3 hours while I played the entire game. It actually is a very fun game - if you have a dance mat for DDR, you can use it for this game. But I digress.

By this time we had received word that there was no school for Wednesday, and after the kids went to bed, Jason and I looked at each other wondering if we could survive another day of games, dolls, trains, and t.v. (I mean relaxation.)

Today rolled around, and after a good night's sleep, we are ready for another day of family bonding. Jason and I now are anxiously awaiting tomorrow when we can get back to normal, get out of the house, take a shower and put on real clothes, and go back to work! It's a vicious cycle, isn't it? Two days ago I was anxiously awaiting the possibility of a cancellation and a chance to relax and enjoy some family bonding time. Today I am anxiously awaiting the chance to get back to normal, out of the house, and back to work. Two weeks from now, we will be anxiously awaiting another delay or cancellation to relax and enjoy some family bonding time!

19 Comments:

Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

You may have noticed on my blog that I waited to go to the grocery store until DURING the storm yesterday. In some ways that was foolish - - - but they did have full stock of both bread and milk at that time!!!

And I ALWAYS do my grocery shopping at Lance's. I just plain like it better and the north store is just around the corner.

Happy Valentine's Day - - - AT HOME

February 14, 2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

Deb - I think your work people and my work people are clones. And I'm like you - why get excited too soon? I hope you're having fun today...had I known you needed fresh activities, I could have let you come over and help with the shoveling... :)

February 14, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Terhune Family said...

I'm with you on the "can't sleep while waiting for THE CALL" and then can't sleep after the call thing. Very frustrating, especially when Daniel gets up right when you fall back to sleep! I can bring some pages on Friday if you let me know what you need. Even if we lived up the street, you probably wouldn't have been able to get there!!

February 14, 2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I just got "the call" again tonight - - - we have a two hour delay tomorrow, Thursday. How about you?

February 14, 2007 8:25 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Nothing yet. We are treating tonight as a "normal" night, and it actually feels good to get back into the routine. WEIRD! As I was typing this, I got the call - we're closed.

So I guess I have heard something.

February 14, 2007 8:39 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

Maybe we should get together tomorrow since you won't have Monday off now...

February 14, 2007 11:39 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Yep - - - about the time I keyed in that last comment, I got a similar call - - - we're closed again too.

I think the side streets and county roads are still bad.

February 15, 2007 4:37 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I totally relate to this post. I was so stir crazy yesterday, but yet, getting angry when I hadn't received my closed call. Weird. It finally came about 9:00. BTW- Gonna have to cancel ladies night tonight because the IWU women's game against St. Francis got moved to tonight. Everyone's welcome to join me at the gym! :)

February 15, 2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger Jaena said...

Deb, Great! Monday it is!

February 15, 2007 9:40 AM  
Blogger Toevs said...

We had fun sledding yesterday. We needed to get out of the house for a bit. Today I can already tell is going to be a stir crazy day. I am out of crafty projects to keep Emma entertained... tired of videos... too cold to play outside... AGHH!!! Wonder what tomorrow will bring?!? Normalcy? Delay? HMMMM

February 15, 2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

I'm ready for the kids to go to school. :)

I can't get Pengapop going. You're going to have to show me some time.

February 15, 2007 1:21 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Okay. What in blue blazes is Pengapop???

February 15, 2007 11:57 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 16, 2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Joel-Pengapop is a highly addictive internet game where you try to shoot out colored balls with a gun controlled by a penguin.

Anon - you can try out the game at primarygames.com, click on arcade, and then click on Pengapop. Play single mode.

February 16, 2007 5:40 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Man, do I feel better.

Whew!

February 16, 2007 8:25 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

I'm sorry, are you saying that school closing is a phenomenon or more like a big whole pain in the neck?

Can we all please go back to school?

Yes, I'm complaining.

February 21, 2007 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb Wuertley Overtly,
You must update your blog! All of your faithful blog followers are axiously awaiting your next post!

February 23, 2007 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...there must be some news to share...

February 23, 2007 9:37 PM  
Blogger Toevs said...

Are you still spending all your time playing Pengapop?

February 28, 2007 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home