Tuesday, November 14, 2006

View My Complete Profile

Someone explain the "view my complete profile" phenomenon. I've gotten in the habit of checking this little blogging statistic almost as often as I check my comments. I don't understand what all makes the profile views number increase. Obviously, when a new stalker checks out the blog, that would make the number go up. But it has to be more than that. Before today, I had been "stuck" at 1491 for days, maybe even weeks. I haven't noticed any new commenters on my blog, and I've only posted a couple of times in the last week or so. Last night, my profile number was still holding steady at 1491. Then BAM! today I check my profile views, and I'm up to 1510. I didn't even post last night. What would make my profile views jump 19 in less than 24 hours with no new post and no new commenters?

I used to think Blogger randomly increased people's profile view numbers so they would think people were still interested and new crowds were being attracted every day, but Jason's, I mean The Wuertley's, link on my blog as stayed steady for the past several weeks, and he has posted new stuff.

Then I thought maybe when I posted something new, that Blogger would automatically increase my number to make me think more people were reading, thus inspiring me to write more. But like I mentioned above, I haven't posted in a week and my number jumped today.

Maybe it has to do with how much I comment on other people's blogs. If I comment on Jane Doe's blog (which I don't comment on anyone's blog that isn't somehow linked in our mad blog circle) then Jane Doe's aunt may click on "Deb" to see who I am, thus boosting my number. But, I haven't commented on anyone's blog in quite a few days, either (I am still reading, though.)

It's very perplexing.

A few updates from the 20 minute blog - yes, I was at Wal-Mart on Saturday night at 10:30 buying a pair of black pants, no the sheets have not been changed, yes, I have shaved my legs, no the Holiday Turkey did not get decorated, yes yes to the Bible and prayer, no no no to the lazy susan and back refrigerator and scrapbook, yes yes yes to the Racko (Elizabeth is going down tonight - she's won 2 nights in a row our series to 500), the laundry, and the cleaning out of the car, no no no to Moonlight Sonata (anon, I'm going to start practicing up for your personal enjoyment) dance dance revolution, the thank you notes, and any of the organizing. It's not a bad start.

17 Comments:

Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I've noticed the SAME thing - - - - - I decided they just collect the profile hits somewhere and at totally random intervals download (or is that upload) them to our blogs. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it.

Here's the even sillier part - - - - - - I really care if my number is getting bigger. How silly is that - - - - judging my worth by profile hits.

Hehehehehehehe

November 14, 2006 7:42 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

Here's how I understand it...

"Profile Views" are when people view your profile (sounds obvious, doesn't it?) So, when people link to Jason's blog from yours, they don't have to go through his profile page. You link them directly to it, so it doesn't affect his profile views.

However, when someone links to your page (through a comment you have made on someone else's blog perhaps), it first goes to your profile page, so it racks up your views. I often link to people through comments, so I am making their numbers go up, even though it is the same person each time.

Make sense? Jim is the expert and would know for sure...

FYI: I talked to Joel, and he is up for the group Christmas gift.

November 14, 2006 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a mystery to me! It was good to see you tonight. I almost got choked up during the little "ceremony." Seriously though, if you had to give your record away to someone else at least it's a nice and talented player not some cocky jock that we can't stand.

November 14, 2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

What's this about a ceremony...Deb giving her record away? I need details, ladies.

November 14, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Okay Jaena, so I went to Kelley's page, clicked on comments, went to my comment, clicked on my name, it took me to my profile, but my number didn't change. Although it has changed from 1510 to 1532 since I posted. Maybe I'm not grasping the concept you are explaining.

November 14, 2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Jaena, tonight at the women's basketball game they honored Liz Howerth, and IWU basketball player,for becoming the all time leading scorer and for breaking 2000 points. I was asked to present to her the ball that she scored her 2000th point with. Let's just say I really do not enjoy situations like that - it's hard trying to look honored, appreciative, interested, congratulatory, and congenial all at the same time. When I try, it usually comes across like me looking at the floor with a goofy smile and red face.

November 14, 2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh, and one more comment - yes Kelley I agree - I am glad that Liz is the kind of basketball player that she is. I think the presentation might have thrown her concentration a little bit at the start because she was a little off, but then she got back on track as usual(after Coach made her cry.)

November 14, 2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

Deb,

I don't think you can "up" your own profile views. I think the computer would know it was "you." Also, I have tried to view someone's profile and then check back again to see if the number changed. It didn't work for me either...maybe it only changes every 10 minutes or something. Not sure of exactly *how* it works, but I think my concept is accurate.

November 14, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

OK, so I think I know stuff, and I actualyl don't. here is info about "visits" and "page views" from the source itself (Site Meter).

What is the difference between a visit and a page view?

When you are browsing a site, every time you follow a link to a new web page, it is treated as a single page view . Site Meter defines a visit as a series of page views by one person with no more than 30 minutes in between page views. If you click on a link to another site, and then come back to your site within 30 minutes, you are still on the same visit and Site Meter won't increment the counter. But Site Meter will increment the number of page views recorded for your current visit.

November 14, 2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I am a goof...Jim said that what I said the first time was correct. I did not read carefully enough, Deb, to realize that you were not talking about a counter on your blog but specifically about "profile views." so disregard the previous comment - sorry. (But, hey, you're up to 10 comments now!)

November 14, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Deb - - - - I think Jaena is right about how they TALLY profile views, and I think you understood her in the first place - - - - BUT I do think they are not AUTOMATICALLY and IMMEDIATELY recorded like the site meter ones are.

I think they must randomly add them from time to time. Mine will ride aT the same number for days and days, and then jump by 30 or 50 oR more all at once, I really don't think all those people viewed my profile in the space of a few minutes. I think they add them in 'batches.'

One time I checked my number and it was the same as it had been for days and days, and then I went back there a few minutes later and it had jumped by over 100.

November 15, 2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger Hummel Family said...

Deb- If you really want to know how many people click on your blog, you need to get a counter from bravenet.com I have been using this counter for a few weeks now and I can see how many people click each hour and how many new visitiors and returning visitiors view my blog each new day. Its fun to watch.

As far as the profile views go, I have no idea how that even works! SOunds confusing to me.

Miss ya
JoEllen

November 16, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Hummel Family said...

If you'd like to see how this counter works, look at mine. It is located under all my blogger links. Click on "stats" and a new page will come up showing you how many clicks I have had so far today.

Love ya
JoEllen

November 16, 2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

OK - - - - we "viewed your complete profile" for a long time, now we want to view something else - - - - - - pretty please????

:-)

November 28, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I know, I know. I even know what I'm going to post about - I just need to take the time to sit and type. I just finished putting up the Christmas decorations tonight and have church tomorrow, so looks like Thursday is it.

November 28, 2006 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also had sheet issues in college, and when we moved just recently, it took two weeks for us to actually get sheets on our bed!

November 30, 2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 19, 2017 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home