Monday, November 06, 2006

If I Had An Extra 20 Minutes

If I had an extra 20 minutes, I would...

change the sheets on our bed (I'm too embarrased to say how long it's been. It's probably a good thing that Anna has an occasional night time accident and Elizabeth gets bloody noses - this ensures an occasional change at least. In college, I once went the whole semester and then took them home at semester break. I know, disgusting.)

do a page in one of the girls's scrapbook. (I started the summer with such great intentions, only to contract a blogging disease that I can't seem to shake.)

take a bath and shave my legs (who has time in the mornings? Thank goodness it's getting to be colder weather. It was times like these during basketball season in college that I really hoped I didn't sprain my ankle and have to be examined by the male trainer.)

decorate, I mean help Anna decorate the Holiday Turkey cut out sent home from pre-school. (I tend to forget to turn these little family projects in. At least we sent her in her pajamas on the right pajama day. When Elizabeth was 3, we were a week early, so she had two pajama days.)

go get Elizabeth a new pair of black pants to wear to church Sunday for her sign language performance. (Or I could just borrow a pair if any of you blog stalkers have an extra size 8 laying around. I have a feeling I will wait until Saturday night at 10:00 before I make a Wal-Mart run.)

read the Bible.

pray.

clean out the back refrigerator that still has our leftover camping food (yes, our last camping trip was in September, and the fruit dip and fruit left over from that trip is still in the tupperware container. I'm scared to look.

organize the lazy susan. What really should you keep in a lazy susan that will stay organized? I have my storage containers in the bottom, and I can never find a container and lid to match. There is a hodge podge of things on top, including bottle nipples (yes, Anna has been off the bottle since she turned one, I just haven't cleaned everything out.)

play a game of Racko with Elizabeth. I got addicted to this game on fall break. We took it with us to Florida and played 36 games, she, Jason and I kept a running total, and I don't mean to brag, but after trailing through 32 games, I made an astonishing comeback.

sit down and play Moonlight Sonata on the piano. I don't play the piano well, but about 8 years ago, I practiced and practiced this song until I could play along with the cd. I'm so rusty on it now that it probably would take me 20 minutes to get through it. It's agony for all in the house to hear, but I don't care. I still like playing it.

play dance dance revolution. I love this game, and we were addicted when it first came out. It's one of those toys that we have forgotten about, but every time we get it out, we have a lot of fun - and it's a great workout, too.

clean out my car. My car is a dumping ground for...school papers, church papers, fast food leftovers, dumped snacks, McDonalds Happy Meal toys, silly putty that has melted into the back seat this summer, etc. Jason's car, however, is immaculate. Guess who transports the kids around?

do a load of laundry. I'm actually pretty much caught up, but if I would just throw in the day's towels (since we don't recycle,) I could be completely caught up. But no, I will wait until it's overflowing before I tackle it.

write about 3 thank you notes that I've meant to write over the last few months. I am so bad at this, and I hate that. I keep forgetting (or not making time) until finally I tell myself it's too late. When Jason and I were married, there were a handful of thank you's that I did not get out for a variety of reasons - didn't have the address, not sure who sent the gift - these sat out on my dresser, glaring at me for the next year. After a year, I finally told myself it just wasn't going to happen, so to stop feeling guilty, I threw them away.

comment on blogs. I've really gotten behind. To all of you reading who have a blog that I usually comment on, know that I have been faithfully reading, but I haven't been consistent in commenting. I think it's because of the same reason I don't blog every day now - I technically have the time, but not the mental energy to come up with something interesting to say. I guess I could just comment "nice blog" or " I agree," but that sounds lazy.

organize the game closet (no, wait, Jaena already did that for me - and I'm sure it took more than 20 minutes. Thanks again, cousin.)

organize the bathroom closet.

organize the closet with our bags/suitcases

organize the back porch closet that houses our seasonal decorations

organize my clothes closet.

I'm up to 7 hours now. Well, that's one work day for me. Maybe if I could choose one day when the kids do their normal school/child care routine, I could pretend I am going to work but instead stay home and get all of these things done. But then, let's be realistic. Would I really work on the above things? No, I would sleep a little later, blog a little more, and find a million other things to do instead of the above (like watch TLC.)

So I think tonight, after the kids are in bed and the day to day chores are complete, I will kick back, drink a cup of hot chocolate, watch a little Monday Night Football (or maybe a taped crime show) and leave the above list for another day (except for the Bible and prayer part of course :)

14 Comments:

Blogger Jaena said...

Hey! If we do the organizing parts together, it would only take 10 minutes per area (yeah, right). If you ever do take that day (or if you take a Saturday or Sunday afternoon) call me and I would love to help.

Not only do I have that blogging disease, I also have OCD (which I like to think of as Organizing and Cleaning Disorder).

November 06, 2006 10:47 PM  
Blogger jenny marvin mealy said...

I too could use 20 minutes to do a list of things a mile long. I think the best thing I have done this week is to watch the Colts game with Jake!

November 06, 2006 10:52 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

Deb - you always make me feel so much better!! This morning I walked past my still-packed suitcase and tried to NOT notice the roasting pan I made caramel corn in 3 weeks ago and went out to my car to come to work....maybe someday I'll have a 7 hour day of 20 minutes too!

November 07, 2006 7:58 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

One year, we had Jason's office Christmas party at our house. I did a ham in the roaster oven. Most of the ham was eaten, maybe a tenth of it was left plus the broth. I left it in the utility room overnight, too tired to clean it. Well, one day led to the next, and before I knew it, it was summer, and my mom was asking for her roaster oven back. I can't believe the whole utility room didn't stink, but it didn't...until I took the top off.

November 07, 2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Deb, what cracks me up about these lists of yours is your willingness to ADMIT these things to all of cyber space.

I just changed my bedsheets this week since - - - - - well I don't know since when.

AND - - - the rest of your list would take me a lot longer than 20 minutes.

So - - - - I'll finish my blogging and probably go to bed. ;-)

November 07, 2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

If I had 20 minutes, I'd pay to hear you play the Moonlight Sonata, one of my all times favorites by one of my favorite composers, can't get enough of the guy. You should go for the Pathetique. :)

November 07, 2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Can't say I know what a Pathetique is, but next family get together at your house, we'll turn out the lights, light some candles, and rock the house (I've never played it on a baby grand before.)

November 07, 2006 7:46 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

It's not just "a" Pathetique, it's "the" Pathetique, another great Beethoven composition. Full chords and great technique work for pianists. I don't know if the MS would "rock" the house, but maybe you version is a little more upbeat and jazzy than the original. If anything, I'm sure I'll be entertained. :) Baby grand ??, don't you mean the piano in my playroom? I don't just let anyone play on my priceless treasure, you know.

But since I love you so much, I guess I'll make an exception. :)

November 07, 2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Yeah, I know, I wasn't comfortable with the rock the house wording, either, but I was in a hurry to comment so it had to work. And Keetha, I think it's a great feeling to crawl into a freshly washed and made bed - a feeling I wish I could experience more often.

November 07, 2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Hehehehehehe - - - me too about wishing I could experience brand new clean sheets more often.

November 08, 2006 4:27 AM  
Blogger . said...

I don't know, Deb... The writer in me really likes the image of "rocking the house" to candles and the Moonlight Sonata!

If you DO find 20 minutes for Racko, let me know—I'm in! I love Racko! My mom and dad have it, and when we're there I've occasionally been told, "Mom! Racko AGAIN??!!"

Gotta run... Gotta go get in MY junkie car and do the "kid pick-up" routine!

November 08, 2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger Toevs said...

If I had 20 min... I would comment on this blog, but I don't have the time, so this is all you get. :-)

November 09, 2006 9:01 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Maybe this will make y'all feel better. I've been on "vacation" all week, and the reason the word is in quotes is that I've just been at home, not traveling anywhere.

So I've had at least a hundred 20-minute time blocks to accomplish all kinds of tasks like Deb's talking about. I even made a list at the beginning of the week.

Mostly, though, I've been sleeping, surfing the Internet, and basically goofing off. I did accomplish a few things — including laundry and fixing up my new closet system. But otherwise, it's been Loserville. And I don't even have kids to use as an excuse.

November 10, 2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

Yep, Joel, and you haven't even updated your blog! No more Thursday dinners?

November 11, 2006 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home