Thursday, June 14, 2007

Grace

I was heading down St. Rd 22 with my mom and Elizabeth a couple of days ago, returning from a trip to Target. Of all the stores rumored to come to town, Target is the one I wish would actually come. Anyway, when I am travelling on a highway or interstate, most often I set the cruise at 5 miles above the speed limit. Sometimes I will get in a little bit more of a hurry and will set it 8 miles above. Today was one of those days. I was cruising down 22 going about 62-63 m.p.h. when I saw it - the police car parked on the opposite burn facing the other way. In that split second I had to decide what to do. Do I keep on going at the current speed as if I don't think I am doing anything wrong, or do I slam on the brakes (which I've always heard you are NOT supposed to do because it makes you look guilty.) My reflexes took over and I hit the brakes, taking my car down to the legal limit 55 m.ph. Maybe he wasn't paying attention to me. Maybe other cars have gone by him going much faster - I know many cars regularly go 10-15 m.p.h. over the speed limit. I get passed a lot when I am driving. My eyes darted to the rearview mirror. No such luck. As soon as I passed him, his lights flashed on and the car started moving.

I had just commented to Mom a few minutes earlier that I was sleepy - I was no longer having trouble keeping my eyes open now. My heart started pounding fast, and I was already calculating how much this ticket was going to cost. I looked back in the mirror. Because a lot of traffic had been coming the opposite way, it had taken him quite a bit of time to turn around, so he was pretty far behind me. Then I realized Elizabeth wasn't in a booster seat. Boy, it sounds like I am not a safe driver or law abiding citizen at this point. We do have a booster for her, but it was in the other car. "Quick, Elizabeth, get in Anna's booster seat." Elizabeth shoots me a confused look. "Hurry, now, get in the seat." Well we are just getting safer by the minute. Elizabeth unbuckled her seat belt, climbed across the back seat, and sat in Anna's booster. "I can't get the seat belt buckled," she told me. Well, the fines are just piling up at this point. Speeding, child without a booster seat, and unbuckled child in the back. The car is creeping closer to me. Snap, I hear the buckle go into place. At least we've got that going for us.

Now the police car is right on my bumper. My cruise is set firmly on 54.5 m.p.h. as it has been for the last few minutes. I'm getting irritated at the officer - just pull me over and get it over with. We were approaching a stop light when I looked back in my mirror and saw the officer back off - he made a U turn in the road and headed the opposite way. "He was just trying to prove a point," Mom told me. We went through the light when Mom said, "I think you wanted to turn there." I was so rattled that I missed my turn on 37. "Whew, that was close," I said. I cut through a gravel parking lot and started down 37, with my cruise control set firmly on 61 m.ph.

To date I have never received a speeding ticket. I have been pulled over twice; both times I was in college. The first time was very late at night coming into Fairmount off of 69. A car was messing around with me and would tail me for awhile, then would back off, then would get really close, then would act like it was going to pass me, then would back off. I sped up to get away from it, but as I did I came over some railroad tracks into town and was going too fast. When the officer pulled me over, he asked for my license. After noticing my last name was Porter, he asked if I was related to (Mom) Porter. I told him that was my mom. He informed me that he had pulled her over just a week or so ago, but he had recognized her from her stint as a teacher in the Madison-Grant school system many years ago. She did not receive a ticket. I explained to him my reason for going too fast, and he let me off, too.

The other time I was pulled over was for speeding, but I was not wearing my seat belt, so instead of giving me a speeding ticket, I got a seatbelt violation instead. I now faithfully wear my seat belt. Maybe if I ever get a speeding ticket, I will faithfully abide by the speed limit???

9 Comments:

Blogger Jaena said...

If you had gotten a ticket, would you have amended your list of random facts about yourself?

June 14, 2007 8:25 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

My heart was pounding FOR you! I'm so scared of being pulled over! I've never had a ticket either, but I've had my share of scares.

June 15, 2007 8:04 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

You're still young!!! I didn't get my first speeding ticket until last summer, and that was after being pulled over at least 5 times in my driving career.

I know what you mean - - - it's a "heart in your mouth" sort of feeling when that happens!!!

June 15, 2007 11:45 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

You must have a special touch. I got a warning my very first time I was pulled over, but I think that was because I was a sophomore in college traveling by myself back from Ohio and I literally lost it and bawled my head off. I told the cop how my parents were going to kill me because I was speeding. He must have felt sorry for me, so I didn't get a ticket. Unfortunately, the other 4-5 times I've been stopped, I haven't been able to bring on the water-works so I've gotten a ticket EVERY time! I'm like you, usually only 5-7 over. It royally ticks me off when people pass me recklessly doing extremely high speeds. Where are the cops then??? UUGHG!

June 15, 2007 7:09 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Well, not too bad. I thought you might have written an entire novel since the yard sale, but only half of one. :)

Tickets? Let's talk about tickets. We just accumulated a parking meter ticket because it seems like some cities can't center their stinkin' parking meters for tourists or atleast put some kind of sign up to let us know. So last night, we were down at the police station, or I should say I since I actually went in and did the talking and you know who volunteered to watch the kids. I was explaining to the cop that we actually did pay the meter and paid enough to last the entire evening, but since the meters aren't arrowed, I suppose tourists are to guess which one is the right one. I was told to count down from the beginning of the row, but when the row consists of 100 meters plus there's a festival going on, and not to mention anxious children, I did not take the time to count down from the beginning of the meters. Although, the cop did agree that it was confusing. ??? What is that? You'd think with all of the money they make from visitors, they could be considerate and mark which meter goes with what spot. No, I wasn't a little frustrated or anything.

Then, on the way there, we slide through a toll road without paying the toll. Yeah, I'm sure we'll be getting a ticket since cameras are up everywhere under the easy pass. The signs were not clear. It looked like an exit to the toll and we didn't want to exit. When you finally got up there, we saw a sign and realized it wasn't an exit, but it was too late. We tried to stop and make an attempt turn around, but no such luck. Looking forward to our little notice in the mail. We may lose our jobs if we keep up these habits. :)

Now, more about tickets......as in concert. I'm sure I missed out on some amazing interpretive dancing. :)

June 24, 2007 7:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

The concert was nice - the best part was that they had a new style of "girl" shirt IN AN X-LARGE! Too bad it wasn't Hobart prices (was $20) but I didn't care. It's brown and black - I'm sure I will be wearing it every other day this summer so you will get to see it.

June 24, 2007 10:23 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Can't wait to see the shirt. Did you give John and Corey a rock fist for me? :)

*see comment #10 on my Little Ditty Part 2

June 24, 2007 11:00 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

*also see comment #10 on Little Ditty Part 3

That's the kind of person I am. I make a comment about you and I let you know. What you see is what you get with me.

:)

June 24, 2007 11:39 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Game on.

Don't ever do that to me again.

Your little post awaits you.

June 27, 2007 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home