Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Need a Good Cry?

I've been checking my friend Kelley's site several times a day for the last few days, and the comment trail has led to people talking about crying, and how it cleanses the eye (and the soul) to at times have a good cry. I was thinking about the last time I had a good cry, and though I can't remember the exact date as it was awhile ago, it was in the evening as I was flipping through channels. The movie "Stepmom" with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon was in its last half hour, and I had to watch. The premise of the show is that Julia Robert's character hooks up withSusan Sarandon's husband (Ed Harris,) and though the divorce between Ed Harris and Susan Sarandon was mutual, Sarandon is still jealous of his relationship with Roberts, and she also uses the two kids as a weapon against both Harris and Roberts. However, Sarandon finds out in the middle of the show that she has terminal cancer, and through Roberts perserverance and Sarandon's acceptance of her fate, they all come together for a very emotional ending.

I thought tonight I would list a few other tearjerkers in my book for those out there who need to cleanse their eyes:

1. Beaches. The first movie I saw in a theatre where I literally could not control my sobs. I saw this movie with my mom, my friend Meg, and her mom, and all four of us had to sit through all the credits to compose ourselves. I couldn't listen to "Wind Beneath My Wings" for awhile without crying in the car.

2. Steel Magnolias. Another great Julia Roberts chick flick. This movie ran the spectrum of all emotions - hysterically funny at times, and so sad at others.

3. A Love Story. Okay, this one is a little dated, but I love it just the same. Maybe it's because we had the theme song sung at our wedding (my sister-in-law Kismet did a great job.)

4. Simon Birch. I read the book that I thought the movie was based on - something about Owen Meany. I liked the movie much better.

5. Schindler's List. One of the few movies I own, though the material is so heavy, I've only watched it once since I got it.

A movie that I highly recommend, and it will bring some tears but many more laughs, is Parenthood with Steve Martin. This movie is a little dated (I think late 80's maybe or early 90's,) but I absolutely love this movie. It isn't so depressing that you feel depressed at the end, but it does tug at the emotions while offering many opportunities to laugh.

If Kelley ever posts about a topic that solicits comments regarding laughter, maybe I will post about movies that I think are pretty funny. However, I'm no movie buff, so the majority of movies I can relate to are from teen through college days.

Triathlon Training Update - back on schedule. I ran 45 minutes tonight, and after a few blocks, the knee loosened up and didn't feel too bad the rest of the way. It felt really good running after taking a day off. The day before THE DAY, we rest, so hopefully I will have that really good feeling on that Saturday.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jaena said...

I will let you know before Joel pipes in: the book the movie was based on is "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. I liked both, but the book was longer and had so many more details. The movie was "highlights" that focused a bit more on the humor and not so depressing, except that he does die at the end...I guess that would be considered a bit depressing.

I always cry when Matthew dies in Anne of Green Gables (movie or book even.) I can also still cry during those sappy Hallmark commercials they show around the holidays.

August 29, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger jenny marvin mealy said...

Deb
I am so gla that your knee is doing better. I was worried about you.

August 29, 2006 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb,

Remember the baby stories on TLC? I always cry when seeing the miracle of birth. I did that twice 30 some years ago, and since then the tears come so naturally.

Mom

August 30, 2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger Stephen and Michelle said...

I cried pretty hard in "I am Sam," and I am not really one to cry in movies, but that one really hit me and Stephen both. Great movie.

I think it depends on the stage of my life at the moment. If I can really relate and put myself in that person's situation, I have a hard time not crying :)
Michelle

August 30, 2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I've always been one to cry at the drop of the hat. It doesn't take much to make me tear up. Beaches, Steel Magnolias and Stepmom are some of my favorites too. Little House on the prarie has caused alot of tears to be shed as well. Just watched a good episode yesterday when I got home from school. Love that show! :0

August 30, 2006 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaena- I cry so hard every time Matthew dies in Anne of Green Gables. I mean UGLY cry. Girls- you know what I'm talkin about. Matthew is just so sweet and good to Anne. How can Anne ever make it with just stearn ol Aunt Marila? Shannon

August 30, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I am finding that the older I get the more I cry. I big time used to make fun of my Mother when she would cry watching Little House On The Prairie! Now, I am the one choking up at movies..... Beaches is definately a tear jerker. And, I'm with you Shannon I was so sad when Matthew dies! I am not proud to admit it but I even cry reading books sometimes now.

August 30, 2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's okay Missy, I even cry at some of the Readers Digest stories. I've never seen the Anne of Green Gables movie - I guess I'm really missing out on a good one (although now I know Matthew dies, so maybe I can prepare myself.)

August 30, 2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger Hummel Family said...

Deb, if you ever want to watch Anne of Green GAbles...I believe Jen has all of them, I am sure she'd let you borrow them. Her and I watched these all the time...back in the day. You'd enjoy them.

August 30, 2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

Deb - I'm with all the little house people - I bawl my head off every time Albert dies (or does he?) in that one episode. And although I cry over 98% of tv shows and movies I watch - the Notebook is the one that has most recently pushed me over the edge into crazy tears. I can't handle it!!

August 31, 2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

When I watched "Shadowland" (the story of CS Lewis and his marriage) Kyle was barely a 'post-toddler.' He couldn't understand why I was crying so much, but each time I cried AGAIN - - - he made a tally mark with his finger in the dust on the fireplace and informed me at the end that I had cried 18 times in that ONE MOVIE!!!!!

Two of my children ran cross country in middle school, Kelly and Korie. EVERY time they came across the finish line I teared up. (No - - - they wern't winning - - they were just FINISHING.)

August 31, 2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger . said...

I even cry at songs on the radio! (like Michael Buble's "I Wanna Go Home," or Shedaisy's "Come Home Soon" - those two seem to just belong together) I'll be driving down the road when one of those songs comes on. My daughter will look over at me and say, "Awww, Mom—again?!"

While we're on the subject of a "good cry", here's some interesting info I just found. http://ramailer.realage.com/ct/click?q=b2-M4LwQX0SAZfwIq7jdoZfU~VCEdRR

September 01, 2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Hmm. Only women responding to the post about crying, eh? Interesting.

I'm man enough to admit that I do choke up on occasion, but not man enough to enumerate the things that make it happen. (All I can tell you is that I'm a total sap and it's embarrassing.)

And by the way: Simon Birch is only very loosely based on A Prayer for Owen Meany — it seems that John Irving was so dissatisfied with the script or whatever, that he wouldn't allow them to use the characters' names or even say it was based on the book. I think the credits ended up saying "inspired by the book" or "inspired by characters from the book" or something.

That book's one of my desert island books. Highly recommended to any of you out there in blogland.

September 01, 2006 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home