Monday, August 28, 2006

Smells

One of the rankest smells I know of is that of spoiled milk. I remember last summer, every time I would get in my car I couldn't figure out why it smelled so bad. I would drive around with all the windows down to air it out, but nothing seemed to make the smell go away. Finally I decided to clear everything out of the car, and underneath the passenger side seat was a sippy cup with a cottage cheese looking substance inside. I decided the smell I would have to endure to clean out the cup was not worth the cost of the cup, so I threw it away (I've done that with some storage containers in the fridge that were pushed to the back and forgotten about until I could not even recognize the original contents.)

Call it a pattern in the Wuertley family, but we tend to run out of necessary household items, and then we see how long we can go before we restock. Last time I posted about this it was toilet paper. This time it is dishwasher detergent. We are going on day three with no dishwasher detergent, and since these hands do not wash dishes (unless it's an oversized pan that doesn't fit in the dishwasher,) our dishwasher is stuffed full of dirty dishes. I have arranged, rearranged, layered dishes over cups, and shoved silverware into the rack until not even a toothpick will fit. I have managed to fit everything in so far except for a 9x13 dish that held pizza casserole that we finished up tonight. And it's soaking in the sink, so in my mind it is where it would normally be anyway. A couple of problems have occurred since we haven't had detergent. First, since I don't wash dishes, the dishes we use tomorrow for breakfast will have to stay stacked in the sink. Maybe we will use paper towel instead and have pop-tarts. Wait, we are out of paper towel, too. We do have toilet paper, though, so we could use that. Second, there are about 5 dirty sippy cups in the dishwasher that at one time had milk in them. I will admit, I am not a good rinser outer of dishes and cups. When we bought our dishwasher, one of the selling points was that you didn't have to rinse your dishes - the dishwasher was so powerful that it would do it for you. So therefore, I have gotten in the habit of not rinsing dishes. So between the smell of three day old food stuck on plates and smelly sour milk sippy cups, anyone who opens up the dishwasher almosts falls over with the odor. I almost ran a rinse cycle this afternoon, but then I was concerned Jason would think the dishes were clean and then unload the dishwasher. We were going to run to Wal-Mart after a preschool ice cream social this evening but found we lacked the energy to do so after we left the school. Maybe tomorrow I will squeeze in a trip to the store...and maybe I will pick up some paper towel while I am at it, too.

While I am on the topic of smells, I would just like to share a few of my most favorite smells that don't involve food - a brand new can of tennis balls, an auto store where they sell tires, a brand new car, gasoline, and rubber cement (the last two I do not sniff, but if my nose happens to pick up the fragrance while I am in the vicinity, I do enjoy the smell.)

And finally, just a little update on the bike wreck injuries. I am feeling much better today, although I am a little sore. At this point my right knee is of most concern, but when I am up and around on it, it loosens up and feels pretty good, so I think it is just bruised. We are set for a 4 mile run tomorrow, and I plan to use common sense, but I am hoping I can get back on track. Ice has really helped the swelling, and Tylenol has done wonders for the pain. I received a packet of information regarding the triathlon, and I have one concern. The race starts at 8:30, and since my goal is 3 hours, I am hoping to cross the finish line by 11:30. The packet says that the post race awards ceremony starts at 10:45. Guess I won't be a part of that.

18 Comments:

Blogger Jaena said...

Don't worry, Deb, we will have our own awards ceremony for you, Shelli, and Jill. Guess you know what kind of competition you're up against.

I have an article for you to read about a mom who (so far) has competed in over 50 triathalons! Remind me to get it to you....

August 28, 2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Really, is there anything better than the smell of rubber cement? Or how about a fresh permanent maker? Mmm! You think Yankee Candle would get with it and bottle those smells.

August 28, 2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

Your sippy cup story reminded me of back when I was dating my ex-boyfriend and I cleaned his apartment for him while he was out of town on work one week. I had the whole place spotless, but the one thing I refused to touch was the matching set of bulging milk cartons in the fridge. I wouldn't even pick them up to throw them away. I made him do his own dirty work on that.

But on the subject of smells I do like - I LOVE the smell of a brand new Bible. And I hate to admit I've been seen in Tree of Life, peeking into a Bible box just to get the leather smell. It's great!!

August 29, 2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger . said...

Sign me up for the "Hate the Smell of Spoiled Milk" club! When my older kids were little, we had a lunch-size carton of chocolate milk that got left in a backpack (and sprung a leak, of course). It was there all Christmas break while we were out of town! Talk about reek!! Wow! Trust me...chocolate doesn't make spoiled milk smell any better! When we got home, the whole house stunk—which made the source just that much harder to track down! Ah, the "good old days"!

Smells I do like: ditto machine copies (before most y'alls time), new books, old books, clean babies, new plastic toys (like dolls).

August 29, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger jenny marvin mealy said...

Ditto on the ditto machine smell!
I love the smell of leather too.
And my husbands pillow!

August 29, 2006 11:19 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I absolutely cannot stand the smell of spoiled milk. I have thrown out lots of perfectly good milk just because I'm afraid it's nearing the spoiling date.

I do love permanent marker, rubber cement and even gasoline though. Weird.

August 29, 2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I agree on most of the smells. A positive smell memory for me is sitting on the couch at Grandma Bowman's looking through the Sears and Penney's catalogs, creating a "wish list." I guess I was small/short enough to get a good whiff of the catalog pages because I still on occasion open a catalog and bend down to drink in the smell and remember...

August 29, 2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

My favorite smells..... pine trees (especially in the Black Hills), camp fires, new cars, new babies, rubber cement, Saturday morning breakfast at my Mom's...

Today is trash day for me. I dumped half a gallon of milk that had expired a week ago. Joy! I was gagging!

August 29, 2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger jenny marvin mealy said...

Oh I thought of one more that I had to mention--
I love the smell of puppies!

August 29, 2006 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb-
One of my biggest fears (next to drowning in my car) is running out of tp, paper towels, and/or dishwasher soap. So I always have a spare. Next time give me a call and I'll run you up some soap.

Best smells... clothes out of the dryer, freshly cleaned bathroom, puppy breath, new furniture.

Bad smells... my cat currently smells like fried chicken, cup of milk- left in the basket of my stroller- left in the trunk of my car, College Wesleyan Church, burnt popcorn

August 29, 2006 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the above comment was from Shannon- once again forgot to sign my name.

August 29, 2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Are you saying that College Church smells, or your milk was left at College Church?

August 29, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

College Church does kind of smell, especially some of the nursery rooms and bathrooms...maybe the new buidling will be better since it should have the new furniture smell Shannon likes.

Also, what's up with the good puppy smells? The only smells I relate to a dog are the "wet dog" smell, the "I-stepped-in-its-doodie" smell and the "it-went-on-the-floor" smell. Am I missing something? (Can you tell I'm not a huge animal lover?)

Finally, Shannon, I had a TERRIBLE dream a couple of nights ago about almost drowning in my car. I had to keep replaying it so I could make the ending come out ok with the kids and all...very scary, I agree!

August 29, 2006 10:48 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I agree with the puppy smell people - it's actually puppy breath that I like. It's not really a good smell, like chocolate chip cookies, but a "sweet" smell, kind of like the baby smell.

August 30, 2006 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes- I was saying College Church does kinda smell. I debated on writing that -hoping it wouldn't be taken the wrong way. Maybe our slogan could be- "Our church stinks but our pastor smells good". Then again, maybe that could be taken the wrong way too. I'm sure the new church will smell better. Shannon

August 30, 2006 2:13 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

LOL at your comment, Shannon!

August 30, 2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger Toevs said...

I too have thrown away a few sippy cups with cottage cheese in them... oh, wait, it wasn't cottage cheese, it was milk... anyway, I refuse to even attempt to clean those - no matter how good our new dishwasher is. :-)

September 01, 2006 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Deb!!! Miss seeing you every week at dance. My hubby did the Mississinewa triathalong thingy. He told me he saw you there. I was still in bed while you all were out doing your running/biking/swimming thing!

Love,
Teryn Taylor

September 22, 2006 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home