Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Blog Stalker Revealed

As the lazy days of summer are winding down, and I am weathering our non-air conditioned home and a sick three year old (yep, Anna got what I got - to her credit, thank goodness she is not whiny when she is sick), I have decided I need to do another blog activity to add some excitement to my life. I've been thinking about this post for a couple of days, and I think I finally have the nerve to publish it. So here it goes...

You know the old saying, "It is better to give than receive." Quite a few posts ago, I did a blog experiment on my "Happy 9 Years" post, and to my great delight, I received by far my most comments ever. This time, instead of receiving the comments, it is my turn to give. I have stated before that there are many blogs that I read - some on a multi-times-a-day basis, some daily, some every two or three days, some weekly, some only when I have some serious blog time to spend, some of people I am related to, some I know well, some I know as acquaintances, some I wouldn't recognize if I passed them on the street. There are only a few, however, that I post comments on, for a couple of reasons. First, I don't have time to post comments on every site I visit - often times I am doing quick clicks just to get updates. Second, most people would question "Why in the world is Deb Wuertley reading my blog, let alone commenting on it?" But wouldn't all of us secretly like to know who all visits our sites? We don't need to hear from these people, we just want to know they exist and are reading, even if on a sporadic basis. So I have decided to make myself known - if only for one night. I have decided to post a comment on every site that I visit. I have set some guidelines, however, and I will list them below:

1. I will only post a comment on sites I have visited more than one time. I have visited several sites once and for various reasons have not gone back.

2. I will only post on sites that the author has kept the blog reasonably up to date - I'm going to put the limit at the last two months.

3. I will put the same comment on each site - "Just wanted to let you know I stopped by."

4. I will only post these comments tonight, and starting tomorrow, I will return to only commenting on sites that I normally comment on.

I realize I may get a variety of reactions from my comments. Some who I already comment with will know what's going on and it won't be a big deal. Some will read my comment, wonder who in the world "Deb" is, and click on my name, thus seeing this post and realizing why I left the comment. Some will think it's spam and ignore it. Some will think I am really strange. I guess it's the chance I am taking by doing this activity. I am going to leave this post on a couple of days in case a blogger does click on my name, wondering what in the world is going on. What spurred on this idea? Other than the obvious - I've always wondered who reads my posts and am surprised at times when I find out who does, so I thought I'd let others know I read theirs - I visited a site the other day that had a really humorous post about an awkward hug, and I read some of her other posts, and I thought, "I would really like to let this author know I enjoy reading her stuff, but I obviously won't since we don't know each other."

I know I'm not going too far out on a limb here- let's face it, we are all in this blog ring somehow connected, if only by our IWU alumni connection. Almost every blog I browse is either an IWU grad, a relative, a relative of a relative, or a church acquaintance. For any of you who clicked on this site just to see what crazy person commented on your blog, my name is Deb (Porter) Wuertley, and I graduated from IWU in 1997. Thanks for making my blog surfing worthwhile.

Triathlon Training Update: I felt pretty good after the bike ride today - we went 9.2 miles in 50 minutes, and I can walk tonight. I had good intentions of going to the YMCA for the strength training, but after cleaning up Anna's messes most the afternoon/evening and with Jason coming home, I just didn't make it. Looks like more sit ups, push ups, and free weights at home.

22 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

just wanted to let me know I stopped by.

August 02, 2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger Hummel Family said...

You are the BEST blogger yet! Hope you are having fun posting comments on all of the blogs.

Glad to hear you are better but sad to know that Anna is sick!

August 02, 2006 10:08 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

thanks for stopping by, and for commenting! nice to know who's around :)

August 02, 2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

You slay me... Thanks for commenting! I'll try to post before the 2 month mark..

August 02, 2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Just so you know, your blog is one that I check daily for new updates. You are a wonderful writer and I enjoy reading your blog. I feel as if I know you even though I only know you because of Kelley. Thanks for visiting my site.

August 02, 2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger the lambs said...

I hear from people all the time..."I just love your blog", but I never see a comment from them. I do know who you are...Jaena's cousin, JoEllen's sister-in-law, my Algebra 2 teacher's sister, my English Comp professor's daughter, the batter in church softball that we send our outfielders WAY out when she is up to bat...but I don't know if we've ever been formally introduced. So here it is, I'm Julie. Thanks for dropping in!

August 02, 2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger Deven said...

Thanks, Deb. Stephen says hi back. Note: he does NOT say "hi back." It's more like a responsive "hi." :) You'll have to check out my latest post. It's about comments. :)

August 02, 2006 11:01 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

You absolutely crack me up! Yet another way to get lots of comments. Maybe I should try it! ;) If you click on my purse picture it will show you a big picture and you can make out the purses a little better. I'd tell you to pick one, but...I'm kind of attached to some of them, so we'll have to see which ones I'm ready to part with come fall! :)

August 02, 2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog.

I do have a confession - - - I've been reading your comments on several blogs - - - - have come here to yours several times - - - and though I have you connected as a Weurtley-in-law (hehehehe) I have been wracking my brain to figure out if I've met you in person. Can you help me with that??????

August 03, 2006 12:01 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Another comment from me - - - -

This entry about comments unleashed my fingertips, and I have posted an entry about comments on my own blog.

Too Fun - - - - thanks for starting this.

August 03, 2006 12:48 AM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I know that getting more comments was not your motivation, Deb; but here it is before 9 AM and you are already up to 10 (11 now). This is an angle we didn't discuss might happen...I bet you easily break your comment record today - again, not that this was your reason for posting. :)

August 03, 2006 8:54 AM  
Blogger Jaena said...

One more thing...how many places did you leave the comment? Did you count?

August 03, 2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I have heard of your parents, though do not know them myself. I go to Westview, not College Wesleyan, and I went to SWU instead of to IWU - - - - so I'm not part of that 'loop' either.

Now about teen camp - - - - I've been either a counselor or the head counselor out there since the summer of '85. For YEARS the College Wesleyan girls would 'camp' around me on blankets on the rec field and we would spend our rec time talking. I would think you may be a bit younger than that crowd though - - - that was girls like Cindy Williams, Carin Vaardaman, Kelly Halt and I remember-not who all else.

August 03, 2006 9:04 AM  
Blogger IndyMom said...

Hi Deb,
I too wonder if anyone reads my blog. This is the first time I've come across your blog. I found the link on Holly's blog (I've never left a comment for her because I didn't "know" her in college - knew who she was. I linked to her blog because of the Bucks who are on our district here in Michigan. I had a miscarriage last August 1st so I will always think of and pray for them on that date. You're probably thinking who is this person. I'm Sarah (Wiggins) Steely - 1995 IWU grad. I was an RA with Kismet. Good luck with your triathlon.

August 03, 2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I've been a bit of a blog-stalker of yours, not sure if you'd remember me. I know I'll never see a game of kickball again without remembering you! And I may actually purchase an Ionic Breeze too! Keep up the great posts!

August 03, 2006 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb,
Your "better to give than receive" post is great! What a great way to renew and make new connections. Your "voice" comes through your writing so well that I need to use your blogs as comp examples for my class. I can just imagine someday all of these writings being published in some kind of memoir. Let's face it, you already have a great title (Thanks, Joel) to help make it a best seller. Keep up the writing--it's a highlight of my day to check yours and some others even if I don't always respond. I guess that makes me somewhat of a blog stalker, too.

August 03, 2006 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received a notice you had visited my site. It is good to know who is reading besides the people that feel obligated to announce their presence. I peek at your site now and then amd reading what others are saying is far more interesting than reading a book. Enjoy your insight.

Kelly's Cousin Carolyn

August 05, 2006 7:02 AM  
Blogger Josh Buck said...

This has absolutely cracked me up. I know you through Holly and Jason and a few other random people. I've checked out you sight on a few random nights. Just thought I'd let YOU know that I stopped by!
Shelly Buck

August 06, 2006 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shucks, you didn't post a comment on my blog. :(
This is really about the competitive side in you, isn't it?
hehehe

August 07, 2006 12:12 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Anonymous -

You really have to let me know who you are! My fear was I was going to miss someone I visit - I was going so fast posting the comments that it was bound to happen. Please reveal yourself!!!

August 07, 2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

HaHaHa - just figured it out - forget the last comment. Very funny.

August 08, 2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Bekah said...

Thanks for stopping by to visit mine - and I am having a blast catching up on yours today!! I was more behind than I thought!!!!

August 08, 2006 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home