Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Some Sentimental Observations

Over the last week or so, I have had several situations that have made me stop and think about different parts of my life - some sentimental, others just about the facts and everyday occurences of life. Just a short post to share...

1. When I am sick, there are people around who can pick up the ball when I drop it. Isn't great to have your mom around when you are sick? When I was holed up in my parents' back bedroom from Saturday evening to Sunday afternoon, she got me medicine, she made up my bed, she pretty much took care of me like I was twelve again. And Jason was great on Saturday taking care of the girls' needs when we went home, getting me Arbys (which sounded great for a moment but didn't last long in the body,) making arrangements for the girls on Sunday. Bonita, my mother-in-law, picked up the ball on Sunday with the girls, keeping them with her at the campgrounds. Jaena was very understanding about me missing Saturday and Sunday morning with the kids. Thanks, everyone, for helping me out - it was humbling to have to rely on everyone else to take care of my responsibilities. I know I take my health for granted, and I don't realize how fortunate I am to be healthy until I am not.

2. My grandpa told me once that he never lets his gas tank get below half full. That way he is never in danger of running out of gas. My mom hasn't stuck with that philosophy. I remember as a kid riding in her car for two days with the yellow low gas warning light. I haven't followed that philosophy, either. On the way into Marion from Fairmount last week at about 6:00 a.m., I knew I was running on fumes. I pulled into the BP on State Rd. 9 and put 15.047 gallons of gas in my 15 gallon tank. Whew! Jason wouldn't have appreciated a phone call at the campgrounds asking him to bring me some gas. Maybe Grandpa is right after all. Why do I push the limit with the gas tank? What's the big deal about stopping and getting gas before I am about to run out? I have played a little game though - my goal with this car was to get over 400 miles to a tank. I've done it twice, but I have to have some interstate driving to do it. The first time I did it, I drove around the block circling the Shell station until it turned past 400. Just my competitive side kicking in.

3. I've had a couple of special moments with the kids the last two days. I have spent the last two nights with my parents since Jason has been out of town, and I have shared a bed with Anna (she is terrible to sleep with - she is a bed hogger, leaving me about 1/10 of the bed.) I woke up before her yesterday morning and just watched her sleep for a couple of minutes. She was in a sound sleep, and her facial expressions were so interesting to watch, it made me wonder what she was dreaming about. Sometimes they were serious, once she smiled and almost giggled, sometimes she grimaced. Babies and kids look so innocent asleep. Yesterday afternoon the girls and I were eating lunch, and I borrowed a Dr. Phil line and said, "Do you know that I have the two best girls in the whole world?" Elizabeth looked at me and said, "I have the best Mommy in the whole world. I would trade you for anything." Noticing my confused look, she went on to explain that if someone stole me, she would give anything away to get me back (well, except for Daddy.) I think I've alluded to this in a previous post, but I will say it again. I know there are smarter kids, cuter kids, more mannerly kids, more well-behaved kids, more obedient kids than mine in the world, and maybe there is even a kid out there that fits all those qualifications, but I wouldn't trade mine for them for anything - and I know most every mother out there feels that way. I can look at a kid and think, "I wish my child would act like that," and I can look at another kid and think "I'm so glad that's not my kid," but both of those kids's mothers would not trade them for anything, either.

4. My 90 year old grandpa came and picked some green beans, tomatoes, corn, and onions out of my garden today, and that was really special to me. He raised an unbelievable garden during my mom's childhood and mine, and he taught me how to start my own garden. He helped me break ground 6 summers ago where my garden is now, and part of that process included him using a jackhammer to break up an old sidewalk that was buried beneath the dirt - at age 84!!! He's amazing, and I'm sure he will be a post topic at some point. I guess I felt honored to have him take something from something he helped me create - and now I'm in charge of it and it has produced.

5. I'll be glad when Jason gets home tomorrow - hanging out with my parents has definitely been a blast (we stayed up until midnight watching The Princess Bride) it's almost like we're on vacation. But I will be glad to get back home, have our family back together, have help with the kids :), and have things back to normal. There are just certain constants in life that make us all feel secure and stable and "right," and Jason is that constant for me. (Is that too sappy? Sorry, I don't want this to be sappy, but I don't know how else to state it, and it's late and I need to finish this post fast, because SOMEONE wants to bike at 5:45 in the morning and I need to get to bed.)

That's all for tonight. Not much of a triathlon update for today, just strength training - which today was pushups and situps because we do strength training tomorrow, too, and I will head to the YMCA for that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, now why'd you go and make me cry at 3:05 in the afternoon? Such a sweet post. Shannon White

August 02, 2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :)

August 02, 2006 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home