Sunday, July 16, 2006

Toilet Paper Shortage

I am hoping my family is not the only one that has to occasionally weather a toilet paper shortage. We have three toilets, and rarely comes the time when all three are out of toilet paper and there is no spare in the closet. Well, that time has come for the Wuertleys. Not only are we out of toilet paper, though, we are also out of toilet paper back up #1 - kleenex. So we have now resorted to napkins (there are only a few left,) and then we will move to the paper towel. We haven't given our kids liquids since we've been home from vacation yesterday, and we all went to the bathroom at church this morning. Okay, the last part is not true, but we are out of t.p. and milk, so I will have to make a run to the store some time today.

Isn't it funny how laziness gets us into these predicaments? I knew yesterday when we got home that we were down to 1/4 roll of toilet paper in the house and a handful of kleenex, yet I still did not run to the store. I can think of a few other examples in my life when the result of my laziness caused more inconvenience than if I would have just not been lazy and done what I was supposed to do. Case in point - my teeth. From age 6 through college, I had A LOT of dental work done - spacers, expanders, head gear, teeth pulled, wisdom teeth out, braces, and finally, a retainer. I was a faithful nighttime retainer wearer until my junior year in college when my retainer broke. The responsible thing to do would have been to go back to the orthodontist to be fitted for a new retainer. However, being the carefree college kid I was (and I didn't pay for the work to be done - funny how when you've paid for something you are more likely to take care of it) I did not get a replacement, and now 11 years later, my teeth are shifting back to their original position.

My teeth saga does not stop there. I had an occasional cavity growing up, but nothing major. After I got married, I stopped going to the dentist for preventitive reasons because we did not have health insurance that covered it. After I had Anna 3 1/2 years ago, I decided I should have a regular checkup. To my surprise, I had 8 cavities! The dentist said it could have been a result of the pregnancy, but in order to ensure this didn't happen again, I needed to have regular check ups and floss 2-3 times a week. You would think 8 cavities would be enough incentive to follow the dentist's advice, but it wasn't. I was so lazy, I didn't even take the time to make appointments, and after a couple of weeks, my flossing was not up to par either. So last school year, due to a throbbing pain in one of teeth, I made another appointment (almost 3 years later.) Four more cavities and a root canal later, I am sad to report that I missed my 6 month checkup (April), and I still do not floss as I should. PURE LAZINESS! Again, the inconvenience of going to the dentist every 6 months for a checkup and flossing a few times a week sure beats a root canal!

I am also lazy with laundry. The majority of our dirty clothes is upstairs, and the washer/dryer is downstairs. I will make a big pile of dirty laundry in the hall upstairs, then spend minutes trying to gather it all in one trip in my arms. Invariably, I will stand up with all in hand, and one sock or pair of underwear will drop. Then when I bend down to pick that one item up, a washcloth will fall. Could I just make two trips? I can think of other instances when I have tried to carry way too much so I could just make one trip, and in the process have either dropped everything or gone so slowly that I could have done two trips quicker.

Even as I type this I am reaping the consequences of being lazy and not putting Anna to bed for a nap. She went to bed quite late last night, and after going to bed, she did not fall asleep until...12:45! After getting up at 8:00 for church, I told Jason that we had to put her down for a nap this afternoon. Well, the afternoon is going by quickly, we have gotten caught up in other activities (okay, blogging is one of them, but not the only one!) and did not take the time to lay her down, and she is now in desperate need of a nap.

I'm sad to admit I am lazy at time with prayer. I've drifted off to sleep more than once at night while in the middle of my nighttime praying. You think that offends God? It offends me when Jason nods off while I am talking to him. I'm sure the benefits I would gain from having a thriving prayer life and having a few extra moments with HIM far outweigh the few extra seconds of sleep, yet my lazy body again makes the wrong choice.

The frustrating part of this all is that when I think of characteristics to describe myself, even negative ones, lazy isn't one that comes to mind. Yet these examples above and others I can think of but won't type on because of the length of this post prove otherwise. This observation ties into my post topic for tomorrow...

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK! Those few days without your posts were pure torture. :) This topic cracked me up because I could relate to every single example. I've done the laundry trick so many times, I was rolling while reading about it. Well, I've gotta get my portfolio up to snuff for the big interview tomorrow. My nerves on overload. Think Hanfield game times 2. :)

July 16, 2006 8:01 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I, too, can relate. The laundry laziness had me LOL - I do that all the time. Sometimes, though, I think it is my attempt to be efficient which actually makes me inefficient in the long run.

However, we could never go without TP that long because we have a septic system that would clog up in a hurry if we used anything but TP.

July 16, 2006 8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, Deb, I do it too. Especially the tp bit. It's really embarassing when you have company over (unexpectedly) and have to offer them a Bounty sheet - saying "they're the quicker picker upper".
I think everyone is "lazy" in those areas at one time or another. I wonder sometimes if that's because we have to "keep it together" in other areas that we just allow something else be "out of order" for awhile. Does that even remotely make sense?
Lynn

July 17, 2006 11:32 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

You don't know me but I'm friends of JoEllen from IWU. Had to check out your blog, per request by JoEllen's latest post. I can SO relate to this laziness issue. One thing that has pulled me out of some of my lazy tendencies has been the FlyLady. If you've never heard about her, you should check out her website at FlyLady.net She has been an absolute home-saver!!! Her website may be a bit overwhelming at first glace, but once you get used to her language and begin putting some of her home organizational/cleaning priciples into use, you'll be absolutely astounded! Check out her "Baby Steps" program to start with. You are not alone.

July 18, 2006 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

July 19, 2006 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home