Thursday, June 29, 2006

Cousins

I'm really coming in under the wire on this post - 40 minutes to go until midnight. I think I can do it. Today has been packed with one activity after another - I only had a chance to quickly do my blog run once today. So today will be a quick post - a few thoughts on cousins before I head to bed.

Relationships between siblings can be very special bonds - in fact, tomorrow I am going to post about my brother (just a little preview for those of you on the edge of your seat.) One great benefit about siblings is that they give you nieces and nephews, and cousins for your children. I come from a relatively small family - each of my parents only had one sibling. My dad's brother was 12 years older and always lived out of town. Because of distance and age span, I did not get to know my cousins on that side of the family very well. However, my mom's sister and her family always lived in the area; therefore I was able to grow up around my other two cousins (who are twins, by the way, Joel and Jaena. For you faithful comment readers, they've both left comments on my blog - you can check Jaena's out through the Womack link on this page.) Now my cousin's children and my children are growing up together - in fact, her son Elisha is exactly one month older than Anna.

My brother and his family also live in the area, and his kids and my kids see A LOT of each other. Even though Jason's sister and her family (who also have a blog - you can check this family out by clicking on the Hummel link) live out of state, we still see them often enough for the cousins to bond and get to know each other. Because I am running short on time tonight, I am going to list a few great things about these extended family relationships and then call it a night.

1. My sister-in-law and I have had conversation about the friendships that our children are forming. My brother's kids and my kids will all attend the same elementary, middle, and high school. We've commented to each other about how the friends our kids make will have a great impact on the people they become and how they adjust through school. We all can remember those awkward junior high years when friendships are fleeting and kids can be cruel. The cousins will always be there for each other to protect, to encourage, and to be that constant friend in those awkward times.

2. Child care. If we are ever in a pinch for child care, we know exactly who we can call. And of course the kids love visiting their cousins' house - in fact, Maria, my brother's girl who is just a couple months younger than Elizabeth, is spending the night tonight. And actually, tomorrow Jaena, my cousin, is picking up Elizabeth and Maria, taking them to the Bible School she is heading up, and leaving Elisha to play with Anna - perfect example!

3. Camaraderie. I have no idea if I spelled this word right, but I've only got 17 minutes until midnight, and I don't have time to spell check. Sometimes during family gatherings, it can begin to feel like a zoo (just wait until the triplets come...check out the Hummel's blog and you will know what I'm talking about) - but knowing that my kids are able to form strong bonds with their cousins and 2nd cousins is really a blessing.

I've tried to post pictures, but it isn't wanting to work and I only have one minute until midnight. Maybe in a later post...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaena said...

I love cousin relationships too, Deb. It's nice that we are all more than just family, but that we are actually friends who enjoy spending time together.

I have often thought that Elisha may be totally confused when he gets old enough to understand the family tree. Because he and Anna interact more like first cousins, and since he calls you and Jason "Aunt" and "Uncle" for lack of a better title, he is going to deduct that we should be sisters. :)

June 30, 2006 7:58 AM  
Blogger Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

I LOVED this post and have the same feelings about my sis and her kids. Sometimes I think they think we live together. Zeke will wake up in the morning and say, "Where Noah, where Zoe?" It does my heart a world of good. Now if Andrea would start giving us some cousins on the other side:)!

June 30, 2006 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home