Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Dreams

My blogging has hit a few obstacles in the last 24 hours, but I must perservere in order to keep going. Actually, what happened is lightning hit a very important wire that affects our internet and phone system. For the last couple of days, we have had sporadic internet connection, and we cannot receive any incoming phone calls. The phone man came today, and our phones are up and running, but the internet wll remain down until we get a replacement wire. So my cousin has been so generous to let me come to her house to post. It works out great for me - I'm in air conditioning (our house is at 80 degrees today, we have no air conditioning), I learned how to put a title on my posts, and Anna is playing with her cousin. The only negatives are that I cannot post pictures (and actually, with this post, I'm not sure what picture I would post unless it was one of me sleeping) and I was going to try to have the Cranberries "Dreams" song playing during this post. But anyway, on to the main subject...
I am an avid dreamer. I've heard that everyone dreams each night, but most people don't remember their dreams. I do dream each night, and I would estimate that after waking up in the morning, 90% of the time, I remember at least one of my dreams. When I went to bed last night, I told myself that if I had a dream that I remembered, that I would post on this topic today. When I woke up for the first time at 7:30 I could only remember pieces of dreams that would be too difficult to put into words. After Jason and Elizabeth left this morning for basketball camp, I went back to bed, and when I woke up at 10:00 (thanks, Anna, for sleeping in today), I vividly remembered my dream. I took Elizabeth to basketball camp, but it wasn't at the IWU gym but at the Taylor gym. Except that it wasn't the Taylor gym in reality, but in my dream it was. Elizabeth was in the middle of camp, and for some reason I had decided to stay all day and wait on her to finish. There was more than one gym, and one of the gyms was empty. I found a stray basketball on the court and started to dribble. I was reliving my old college basketball days when IWU would play Taylor on that floor (which is so weird, because may I remind you, this wasn't actually the Taylor gym), when a couple of people came into the gym. I asked them if they would mind if I shot around for a little bit, and they said I couldn't because some campers were getting ready to come in and play. I went out to the lobby to wait. While I was waiting, I ran into an older couple from College Church (who will remain nameless because I haven't had them sign a media release to use their name) and I invited them out to our next softball game. Then their daughter, who plays on the women's softball team, sat down beside me and was giving me advice to give our men's softball team on how to play better. There were some other details I have left out due to how long this post is getting, but this was the main idea of the dream. Most of the time, what I dream has a direct correlation to what is going on in my life, and I can make the connection. For example, I watched the men's softball team play a double header yesterday, and that couple was at the game! And you already know that Elizabeth has been going to basketball camp (not sure where Taylor came into play.)
The reason I am posting this, though, is not to just let you know what I dreamed this morning, but to ask if anyone else has recurring dreams? I have two different recurring dreams. The scenarios and characters in the dream vary, but the theme remains the same.
Theme #1 - A tragedy or emergency has occured, I need to call 911, and I am physically unable to dial the numbers. Usually I am trying to hit 911, but for some reason my fingers will not hit the right numbers. The last time I had this type of dream, a man had suffered a heart attack, and I was trying to dial 911. In my head, I was telling myself, "Now Deb, when these situations occur, you always have trouble dialing the right numbers, so take your time." This is unbelievable, but I made my fingers carefully dial 911, but on the phone screen different numbers were coming up!
Theme #2 - I am playing basketball, and I am wide open under the basket, and I keep missing the easy lay-up. I continue to get my own rebound and put it back up, but I keep bricking the shot. A variation to this dream is that I am playing, but every shot I take I miss badly.
If anyone has any thoughts on what these dreams mean, please share. I've heard that if you have recurring dreams about your teeth falling out, then you are having control issues, or if you dream you are naked, that means something, too.
One final oddity about my dreams - If my house is part of the scenario, I am always living at the 39th street house that I spent the first 18 years of my life in. Sometimes my parents are living with me, sometimes Jason and the kids are there, sometimes it is all of us and we are one big family.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hummel Family said...

I must not sleep hard enough...in fact, I wake up often during the night (Kind of annoying) but hope someone out there relates...its amazing to me that you have similar dreams...

PEOPLE, now I am curious, what does this mean?

June 21, 2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I do dream and sometimes I remember, but not like you. I had re-occuring dreams when I was young. Usually they were bad. It got to the point where we would have to pray each night for Jesus to help me to have good dreams. One specific dream was that I was always in the middle of a football field with hundreds of people. We are all told that there is a bomb that is going to explode in 1 min. Anyone who doesn't get out before it goes off will go straight to Hell. I was always running for all I was worth and when the bomb would go off, I would wake up. I think I may have just hit on my next blog topic. Thanks! ;)

June 21, 2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I do not know what your dreams mean, Deb; but I "Googled" dream meanings and found a number of people/sites who would like to tell you. I then entered dream meaning, Christian and found yet more opinions on ways to interpret dreams.

So, I am basically no help...

I do dream, and I often remember them clearly, like you. I will have to write more more about that sometime.

June 21, 2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Kelley...I think your dream is directly related to the fact that we were all tortured as children to watch the mark of the beast. SCARY!!! It is that whole fear of the rapture just in a different form. Now I would like to give my professional opionion on Deb's dreams but I have none except maybe the constant missing of the baskets is a need to be perfect and this may also be the underlaying theme for the 911 thing. Trying but never being able to live up to your own expectations. Just a thought from some one who is no more than a blog stalker on other people's blogs that I don't really know.

June 21, 2006 11:48 PM  
Blogger Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Thank God I'm not the only Christian out there totally freaked out by the rapture from watching that atrocious movie! No question it did more harm than good as far as I'm concerned! I can totally relate to being in your childhood house in all your dreams... I have the EXACT same thing. Weird....

June 22, 2006 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home