Saturday, June 17, 2006


After many months of denying any intentions of starting my own blog, I have finally given in to the peer pressure. Maybe it was that I was feeling hypocritical for reading other blogs, and at times commenting, yet not doing my own. Maybe it was because it is summer and I am off work and need connection to the outside world, even if it is through the internet. Maybe it was because I have a lot of questions/comments about what goes on in day to day life, and I just want an outlet to discuss and have feedback. I guess after awhile, I will have more of a blog identity as I see what kind of flavor my posts have. I do know what my blog will not consist of:

1. Anything having to do with my husband. He is a pretty private person (case in point - I was eight months pregnant with our second child and walked into his office. His co-workers didn't even realize that I was pregnant.) In fact, that I have just said that he is a private person is probably more information than he would have liked me to share.

2. Deep religious, spiritual thoughts. It's not that I don't have them, but I'm not one to make good parallels between everyday life and how that relates to my eternal future. I'm sure the parallels are there, I just don't take the time to explore them.

3. Pictures of my kids. We are currently working out a deal with People magazine for the rights to their photographs - we are donating all to charity of course (okay, just kidding about this one. But there may be no pictures if I can't figure out how to do it, and Jason may not be supportive enough of the blog to show me!)

Which brings me to my final point in this post. I'm not sure what to call it. All the good names are taken, and I don't have a fun last name to do a play on words. For example - the "Grate" Update or "Grate Thoughts." Very cute. "Wuertley Thoughts" doesn't have the same ring to it. My sister-in-law's is "Our Life in a Nutshell" (soon to be changed to "Our Life in a Nuthouse" after the birth of their triplets) and my cousin's is "Our So-Called Life." Again, two creative, interesting blog titles.

So any of you who have decided to view this blog, I am open to suggestions in regards to the title of this blog. I would like to say that the winner will receive millions of dollars as prize money, but since the People magazine deal fell through (they chose some baby named Shiloh over my kids) just the satisfaction of knowing you creating my blog title will have to be enough.

We'll see how this goes. I'm a little nervous. Does anyone else break out into a sweat and read their entry ten times before they post? I'm having bloginsecurityitis already.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jaena said...

Welcome to the wide world of Blogging, Deb. Hey, how's that for a name? A little play on the whole "Wide World of Sports." Better yet, "The Wide World of Wuertleys" (wait, that makes it sound like you all are wide/fat.) Jim suggested "Wuertley's Wide World of Words."

On second thought, let me get back to you on title ideas.

I am alraedy LOL at your post; and yes, I too get blog insecurity before I post.

BTW I would be glad to show you how to post a picture...maybe if/when you come over this week we can have a short how-to lesson.

June 17, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Yeah! I am so proud of you! Holly will be too. She'll be thrilled to have another blog to read. I thought you did a fine job. I do occassionally get stressed about how what I wrote will be received, but it's always been positive, so I say go for it! If they don't like it, they don't have to read it! :) I'll be thinking on the name thing. Talk to you soon!

Kelley

June 17, 2006 5:37 PM  
Blogger Hummel Family said...

Yipppeee! I can now stay in touch with you guys and the girls! I can't wait for you to add pics.

Love
JoEllen

June 17, 2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

To all three of you who have already posted comments, a big thank you. What great positive affirmation. It's kind of like when I was a freshman in college, my roommate and I would check our mailbox 20 times a day (not sure what we were hoping for, money from parents, a note from the cute guy in english comp) or when e-mail first became popular, we would check our e-mail incessantly. Now I have the blog comments to check. Do you think it's that deep inside desire to feel connected with other people and to matter? Especially with people who aren't your family, because family has to accept you and talk to you regardless? Maybe should have saved that for a blog post, but again, thanks to you for commenting! And Jaena, I will take you up on showing me how to do pictures - Jason could figure out how to link to other blogs but couldn't figure out the picture thing.

June 17, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

Deb, Those are some deep thoughts...I thought you weren't going to have deep thoughts on your blog. ;)

What day do you want to come over? Bring the peas and we can do those too.

One final blog name idea: Wuertley World!

June 17, 2006 8:09 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'm hoping the peas will be done tonight - I've got a good start. Since I have posted twice now, one would think I've only blogged all day, but I have actually done other things! How does Tuesday sound? And Wuertley World is leading the pack right now!

June 17, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

DEB DEB DEB! I'm SURE you started this blog because of my constant pressuring... No? I'm thrilled anyway! Names?? Somthing like "The ORIGINAL Blog Stalker?" And in reference to bloggingsecurityitis (LOL), I thought it was an awesome start. Let the commenting begin!

June 17, 2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Great start on the blog, Deb! I'm ashamed to admit that I've reserved a couple of blog names here at Blogger, but haven't even started trying to figure out how to post and all.

Maybe it's the writer's curse: I'm scared of the blank page. (It's called albofoliophobia. Actually, I totally made that up.)

Anyway, since I work in advertising, I had to respond to the brainstorming sessions for names. How about "Overtly the Wuertleys" (or "Overtly Wuertleys" or "The Wuertleys, Overtly")?

Nothing like a good forced rhyme.

June 19, 2006 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home