Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fathers Day

To the few who have already visited the site, I am not planning on posting multiple times in a day in the future, but in honor of Father's Day tomorrow, I did want to post one more time today. My dad decided to take a 3 1/2 week vacation this summer (might as well have been 3 years, that's what it seems like) so I will not be able to spend the day with him nor wish him a happy father's day in person. However, in honor of my father, I would like to post the top 5 memories I have from my childhood with my dad.

1. Playing game in the hall. Does every family have games they have made up that only they play? This one was great - it was my brother and I against my dad, and in our hall, we had four door openings into other rooms. The goal was to get the tennis ball into one of the openings. Great fun.

2. Game across the street. Again, another made up family game centered around baseball. My dad was always on offense, and he would throw my brother and I either grounders, line drives, or pop ups. Man, he could throw the ball so high in the air and so accurate to give us a chance to catch it.

3. Endless hours playing tennis. Right before a tournament, he would make me go out and hit. I hated to practice, loved to play. He knew not to push too hard, after twenty minutes or so, he would say "You're ready" and let me quit (for that day anyway.)

4. Shooting baskets. He would rebound for me until I wanted to stop. It's been so great the last week, because I have been working with my six year old daughter and been rebounding for her - I guess I look at her and remember me.

5. This one isn't one specific memory, but just a general sentiment of my childhood. My dad is one of the most competitive, passionate, yet tender hearted men you will ever meet. Anyone who has ever played sports for him can tell you that in the heat of the competition, he gets really involved and competitive and can even raise his voice at times, but off court, he would do anything for you and you know he really cares about you. That's how he was at home, too. Raising kids can get stressful at times, and especially during sports competitions things could get tense (thanks mom, for being a buffer), but I never had to question my dad's love for me.

And now, as Grandpa, he has continued the same with my kids. They love to visit Grandpa and play soccer in the back (one of their games they have made up, and he didn't even get upset when Elizabeth dove into the bedroom closet door (which is a solid glass mirror) and shattered it while trying to score. And if Elizabeth ends up being the most competitive kid on earth (and she already has a good start, believe me if you've ever played a game with her you will know) she definetely has gotten it honestly from her grandfather and mother. Jury's still out on Anna.

So dad, just want to say Happy Father's Day and I love you, and I hope you are enjoying the "Big Rock" at Star Island and beating men twenty years younger than you at tennis.

That's all for today. I would post my top 5 reasons I think Jason's a great father, but I told him this blog would not be about him, so I will just have to tell him in person. He hasn't taken a 3 1/2 week vacation this summer (and if he does, I better be with him.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

I loved this. My dad is coming to visit tomorrow and I'm very excited. I probably won't be in church tomorrow since my house is a pit and they will be here at noon. I also got so fried in the pool today that I'm not sure I'll be able to put on all the necessary clothes items for a trip to church. I'll see you Monday though at 5:45! :)

June 17, 2006 11:09 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I can picture you and your dad doing most of the things you posted. The good ol' days at the 39th street house...

June 18, 2006 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home