Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Just a Few Random Observations

This post is somewhat on the lighthearted side, but these are just a few random thoughts going through my head today.

I have a garden, and one of my favorite vegetables to raise is zucchini. I like raising zucchini for quite a few reasons - it is very simple to plant, very hard to kill, and I love the taste of fried zucchini. In fact, if I had to pick my favorite summer meal, it would include corn on the cob, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on toasted bread, and fried zucchini. Also, a little bit of zucchini goes a long way, and one plant can produce quite a few. This is an oddity about how fast a zucchini grows - I can check on the garden one day, and there is nothing. The next day, there will be a full grown zucchini! Jason doesn't believe me; he thinks I must have missed it the day before. But I am not kidding, these zucchini can grow overnight! I wish I could sit and watch this happen - actually see a zucchini start from the blossom and grow a foot overnight. Maybe it's like Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy - if you wait up for it, then it doesn't happen.

Another thing I wish I could stay up and watch is snow accumulating through the night. I have gone to bed with no accumulation on the ground and then awakened 7 hours later with 7-8 inches accumulation. That must be some pretty heavy snowfall, and it seems like snow that falls during the day doesn't accumulate like snow that falls through the night.

Here is an odd occurence that has happened several times in my life. I will be in a crowd of people; church is an example. I will think that I see someone I know, but at a closer glance, I realize it is not the person I thought. Then minutes later, the person I thought I saw before will cross my path. WEIRD!

A coworker of mine has accepted another job, and though she will be in the same building as me next year, she will not be working with our program. She was to begin her job on Monday, July 10. Last week, she stopped by my house after visiting her new office and talking with her new boss. She expressed to me that she was feeling apprehensive about her new position, expectations, new coworkers, etc. I had to cut our conversation short because Elizabeth had crafts at the library. I invited my friend and her daughter to join us - often times crafts have last minute openings. We went to the library, and her daughter was able to do the crafts, also. While they were in crafts, she and I chatted while Anna played the computer. After Anna played the computer, she wandered over to the children's section. I followed, and my friend stayed by the computer reading her new employee handbook. Also back in the children's section was a lady I have played softball against for several years. After small talking about softball, she asked what my job was, and I told her I work with Head Start preschool. She responded by saying "Oh, you will be in our building next year." I asked her what her position was, and when she told me I couldn't believe it - she was one of three instructors that was going to be under my friend. When I told her this, she said, "I can't wait to meet her; we've been waiting for this position to be filled." Of course she couldn't believe it when I told her my friend was just sitting over a few feet. So I introduced the two, they had a wonderful 45 minute conversation, and my friend found out much needed information and some of her apprehension subsided. What are the odds that my friend would stop by on that day, I would invite her to the library, I would run into the other woman, let alone strike up a conversation with her that would lead to work, and then be able to introduce them. Coincidence, or providence?

One last random item - if when you're canning green beans, one of the lids doesn't "pop," what should you do? Run it through the canner again, hurry up and eat the beans, or throw them out?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Funny and thought provoking. I'm going to miss your posts while you're on vacation. Don't you think you could get a laptop with wireless internet? Then you could post even when you're camping! :) Have a good time and we'll see you next week!

July 11, 2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

It was providence - no such thing as coincidence in my book.

Reprocess the beans with a brand new lid (not ring), and they should be fine (according to Judy Showalter, expert canner).

July 11, 2006 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb-

I agree with Jaena--no coincidence, but I call it "kismet"--with a lower case "k".

You have a propensity for corn on the cob, blt's with mayo, and fried zucchini--it's in your genes, going back to Grandpa
Bowman!

July 12, 2006 4:30 PM  
Blogger tricia said...

I am jealous of all your fresh produce :-) If I had it frsh maybe I'd learn to like more of it. Good for you!

July 18, 2006 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home