Thursday, May 22, 2008

Got Milk?

I was in an elementary school cafeteria earlier this week when a poster promoting milk caught my eye. After reading the poster, I came to the conclusion that the milk industry really needs to take a second look at who is doing their marketing. The poster read as follows (the caps are my doing for effect.)

The PROTEIN in milk helps build stronger muscles, and SOME studies SUGGEST that TEENS who drink it TEND to be leaner.

Could that be any more ambiguous?

Also, ironically Vince Carter was the promo athlete for the poster, and he isn't a teen.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stronger than what? Leaner than what? This kind of advertising is meant to be vague--that's the strategy, which too often works!
Mom

May 24, 2008 12:55 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

As someone who works in the industry, I'll wager that it's not the marketers who need to be examined. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it was the lawyers who made the marketers add the "hedge words" (some, suggest, tend).

Aunt Betty has a good point above -- there's also definitely some ambiguity at work.

But even despite both phenomena, the ad is still strangely compelling, isn't it?

May 26, 2008 1:26 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Deb - - - SCHOOL'S OUT FOR THE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you'll have time to BLOG more now.

I can't tell you how GLAD I am to be FREE for a few short weeks.

May 28, 2008 9:19 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Oh Deb, I was NOT trying to rub it in - - - I really thought you guys were out too. Usually, by the time we are out, everybody is.

May 29, 2008 7:04 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Are you out of school yet?

June 03, 2008 9:13 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I drove by your house several times yesterday - - - I didn't see any bloggin' going on!!! Hehehehehehehehehe

June 05, 2008 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home