Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Third Grade Beau

Actually, the title is a bit misleading, because at the time I was in 2nd grade and he was in 3rd grade...yes, I was seeing an older man. We were in the same class together, a split class with Mr. Ott. Apparently there were only enough 2nd graders for half a class and only enough 3rd graders for half a class so they combined us.

It was probably a relationship on the rebound. My 1st grade beau, Craig, had just dumped me for one of the other third graders in our class, even though he and I were part of a foursome of desks and we would play footsies underneath the desks while Mr. Ott read us the Hardy Boys and Boxcar Children. We even had skated the couples skates at the Idyl Wyld. Ultimately he chose an older woman, a blonde, and I was left in the cold.

As most relationships on the rebound go, my third grade beau and I didn't last long. Middle school, high school, and college came and went without another encounter with him...until last week. Our paths crossed in a work setting. "I know you from somewhere," he said. "I never forget a face." I tried to figure out who he was without asking his name, but I didn't recognize him. Then I saw his name (which will remain anonymous to protect the innocent.) "Wow, I haven't seen you in a long time. Weren't you my third grade boyfriend?" He agreed that yes, he was, and he even thought he still had a picture of me at his house. Of course, I still look almost exactly like I did when I was in third grade, with my short red hair and freckles. I mentioned that he, however, had changed quite a bit, especially the full beard he had that I am pretty sure wasn't there when he was nine. We chatted for a little while and caught up with our lives, and then he was gone.

My 2nd grade relationship must have had some sort of impact on me, because I didn't have another boyfriend until 6th grade. The scars from my 2nd grade relationship must have remained because my 6th grade beau and I didn't last long either...I felt suffocated because when it came time to work in groups in class, he always wanted to work with me and didn't want me to be in a group with my girlfriends. I broke up with him via a note in Industrial Arts class. He was wearing his boy scout uniform that day.

It's a wonder that I was able to put all of that behind me and am able to be married today.

4 Comments:

Blogger K. Karr said...

Deb- you have such interesting posts!
I get a little jump of excitement every time your name appears on my Google Reader! -Karla

April 12, 2008 8:28 PM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I never knew your relationship drama began so early, Deb. Pretty funny stuff, :)

April 14, 2008 7:14 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

And I am really MAD at myself that I neglected to check here on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and so let TWO other bloggers jump in ahead of me in the comments!!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 5:24 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Deb: I think this may be my favorite blog post of yours ever! Fantastic.

April 16, 2008 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home