Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Irony and the Sound of Music

I had to blab on yesterday's post about what I thought would comprise a perfect day. Of course what happened in response was that the next 24 hours from the posting of that post turned out to be far from a perfect day - in fact, it just hasn't been a good 24 hours. Immediately after I posted last night, I did a last check blog run of my links before heading to bed, and I came across my brother-in-law's new post regarding their doctor's appointment that morning with the triplets. He and my sister-in-law received some pretty disappointing news, and I went to bed last night with a heavy heart. Then I had to rise at 5:25 to do triathlon training, had quite a frustrating Wal-Mart trip that involved me being in a hurry to make an open house on time for work and getting stuck in the only open lane that wasn't self serve, and my reliable car I bragged about on my overindulgence post started making a horrendous noise on my way back to the office. I coasted into General Tire per Jason's orders, he met me and took me home to get the Jeep, our third vehicle that is paid for and pretty much sits in the barn until we have a dirty job to do or one of our regular cars is getting worked on. Jason headed back to work; I headed inside to do a few things before going back to the office. After doing a few chores, I hopped in the jeep, turned the ignition, and...it was dead. So I called Jason, he had to come back and get me, I dropped him off at work, and I took his car to my work. But since nothing too awful has happened since then, I decided to make my post topic about something other than the happenings of the day.

Ever so often I will hear a song on the radio that will remind me of a specific incident or situation from my past. I'm not talking about songs that remind me of major milestone events; obviously any time I here "All I Ask of You," I am going to remember our wedding. I'm talking about situations where if it weren't for the song, I would not have recollection of the memory. For example, while I was standing in line at Wal-Mart today for 20 minutes, I was listening to the music that was playing overhead, and on came the song "I Need a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler. I was an avid Days of Our Lives viewer growing up. In fact, we would tape the daily episode since none of us were home during the day, and as a bribe to get me to practice piano, my mom would let me watch the day's episode after practicing for 30 minutes. There was a love story going on between Bo Brady and Hope I don't remember her last name (it's driving me crazy, someone help me out. Her dad was Doug, he was married to Julie, her mom Addie had died when she was a child.) As soap operas go, Bo and Hope broke it off, and Hope was set to marry Larry Welch, whom she did not love. On their wedding day, Hope is going down the aisle, and Bo is racing on his motorcycle towards the church to stop the wedding. This song "I Need a Hero" is playing in the background as Bo races into the church, Hope runs out, they chase through the woods, he tackles her to the ground, they wrestle for a bit, and then they fall into a passionate kiss. Of course as soap operas go, Bo and Hope end up getting married, splitting up, characters are written off the show, and I think at the present time the original actors are playing the roles once again, and they are split up.

"On My Own" by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald is another example. I was 11 years old, and the Marion Giants boys basketball team had just captured their third straight state title in 1987. My dad and brother must have headed to the gym for the after game pep rally, and my mom and I were in my parents' bed listening to the post game show on WBAT. The announcers signed off on the game, and the regular programming of seventies and eighties music returned. This song was playing as we lay in bed that night waiting for my dad and brother to get home. I think of that night every time I hear that song.

In seventh grade, I was "going with" a boy named Scott Pattison. The problem: I was not allowed to "go with" anyone in seventh grade. I didn't know how to tell my parents I had a boyfriend. I'm not really sure why I felt the need to tell them because we weren't actually going anywhere. I was sitting in my bedroom on the floor playing with a nerf ball when "I Had the Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing came on the radio. I can still feel the unsettleness and guilt I felt that night whenever I hear that song.

In eighth grade I stayed all night with my friend at her grandmother's house in Bluffton, and we went to the annual street fair. MTV was just becoming popular, and since it was not on at my house, I was pretty naive to music videos. However, MTV was on at my friend's grandmother's house (lots of teens were there) and I remember two videos distinctly: "Carrie" by Europe and "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna. I really liked "Papa Don't Preach" but felt pretty guilty about it because of the subject matter.

When I hear the song "American Pie" by Don MacLean, I think of riding early morning in the back seat during drivers ed. Mr. Jacob, my drivers ed teacher, loved Magic 95.1, and this song was guaranteed to play daily.

My senior year of high school I took Carin Vardamin to school each day. One morning, the song "Walking on Broken Glass" by Annie Lennox came on the radio, and she said, "Oh, I love that song," and she started singing along. I hated that song, actually I still do, but since she loved it so much, I endured the agony (not of her singing, she has a great voice, but of the song.) I bet she doesn't even remotely remember that instance.

The summer between my sophomore and junior year of college was pivotal for me - most significantly Jason and I started dating during that summer, and even before we started dating, we were a part of a group that stayed on campus during May term. Our group had some really fun times - none of us were dating and probably all of us wanted to be (not necessarily each other.) One of our favorite past times was to sit around and watch VH-1 - this is when VH-1 predominately played soft rock and love song videos. We were all feeling pretty down about our love lives anyway, why not enhance the mood with some sappy songs. Our personal favorites, and to this day when I hear these songs I think of that May term and that group - "Tell Me I Was Dreaming" by Travis Tritt (really depressing video) and "Not Enough" by Van Halen.

I can think of several other instances, but for post length sake, I will stop. What I think is interesting about these songs is that I don't particularly like or dislike any of them (except the Walking on Broken Glass one,) they just remind me of certain memories. Another post I may do someday will be about songs that day after day, year after year, if I hear them on the radio or on a cd, I love them just as much as the first time I heard them. Some songs I will hear once and really like; then I run it into the ground by buying the cd and listening to it incessantly. But there are a handful of songs that every time I hear them, I just belt out the lyrics and get that funny, corny, emotional feeling inside.

Triathlon Training Update: Today was a milestone day for me - I successfully wore a pair of goggles for the entire swim time (30 minutes.) I have never been able to find a pair of goggles that don't let the water in. Jason and I went snorkeling on vacation one time, and I had a miserable time because water kept getting in my mask. On these goggles, I had unsuccessfully tried them before, but Jason swapped out the nose piece and they work perfectly. We followed the swim with a 15 minute run - pretty uneventful day.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for stopping by our blog. I will visit yours via the Hummel's. Have a great day-what a fun blog!

August 10, 2006 2:21 AM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I was LOL about the idea that you and your "boyfriend" weren't "going anywhere" - where do these phrases come from? Great post, Deb!

August 10, 2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Her last name was Williams and I remember that scene vividly!! I'm sad to say I'm still an avid watcher today. They are currently split up, but Bo is fighting valiantly just like he did back then to win her back. :)

I totally relate to the music thing. I struggle to share some of my examples because I'm not very good with the names of songs. The only one popping into my head is "Once Bitten Twice shy" by some hard rock group that Kismet could probably name. That has a lot of memories attached to it of my ex-boyfriend, Shawn Davy. He was a hard-core rocker and that was "our" song. Oh my...Good times!

Sorry your day was not the best. I'm praying for JoEllen and Burke. I can't imagine how hard this has to be for them.

August 10, 2006 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Long Blogs!

August 10, 2006 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....okay, the first anonymous post isn't mine, but i do feel like i could use a nap after reading all that material :) (it's probably just jaena realizing how much fun it really is to go anon, but doesn't want to admit it after her little fit) .....i don't think my little brain has been forced to read such a lengthy novel since "the great gatsby"......needless to say, i definitely relate to that what your saying.....in fact, it's a sick game that i play inside of my head because all the songs they're playing in stores these days come back from our "glory days".....so i'll specifically name the time, place or event surrounding a particular song.....it's a sick disease that i have and one that drives my spouse nuts........yeah, i get that funny, corny, emotional feeling too....especially every time i listen to stone temple pilates. :)

August 10, 2006 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, how could i forget?

great white: once bitten, twice shy

August 10, 2006 1:48 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Oh - - - not ALL the songs in stores these days are from you "kid's" glory days - - - -sometimes I can sing every word 'cause they're from mine - - -and I'm no kid anymore.

August 10, 2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

WILLIAMS! Thank you for putting my mind to rest. My opinion of the high point of Days of our Lives? When Roman (Wayne Northrop) was being framed by Andre (Tony DiMiera's evil cousin) for murders - Andre had a plastic mask that he wore that made him look just like Roman. When Roman revealed himself to Marlena (wearing a Don I don't remember his name mask to prove his innocence) oh the suspense!!! Patch and Kayla, Stephano (the Phoenix)Eugene and Calliope, the Bermuda Triangle plane crash where Roman was "killed." Are the plots this exciting now? I don't watch to know. I'd better be careful or my comments are going to get lengthy like my posts and anonymous will really get ticked.

August 10, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

One more thing (Jaena, good blog etiquette to post two comments in a row on your own blog?) Every time I hear Bryan Adams "Everything I Do, I Do it For You" I think of Florida vacation late high school when a certain family member was missing someone very much. I actually heard that song this morning. Can someone get me a trash can? I think I'm going to throw up.

August 10, 2006 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha, very funny.......except if you're going to sing that song his version you'd have to substitute the words "walk the world for you" for the actual lyrics which are "walk the wire for you"......he gets a little confused on the bridge of that song.

August 10, 2006 6:53 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Interesting you bring up the wrong lyrics bit. After the Bryan Adams song was the song "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money. (Right after, weird, huh?) Anyway, there is a part of that song that Deb Turcott and I could never figure out - "Take me home tonight, I don't want to let you go til you see the light, take me home tonight, listen honey ......just like a runny sack (Deb's choice), just like a running man (my choice), just like a Ronnie said (another guess).....be my little baby." I actually thought about posting about it, but there is so much web info out there on misunderstood lyrics that it seemed unoriginal to talk about. Any guesses out there on what the song actually says (without looking it up on lyrics.com?)

August 10, 2006 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home