Monday, October 29, 2007

Ads

I recently have heard two advertisements that have really bothered me - one on the television and one on the radio.

First, the one on the television. The company behind the advertisement is Visa, and the ad is set to the song "When the Saints Come Marching In." The ad has several New Orleans Saints fans purchasing different fan wear and items - this ad was obviously filmed before the football season began, because the Saints have been a real disappointment this year, so Visa would have probably picked the Patriots to represent them instead. Anyway, as the various fans are buying their gear, they are paying for it with Visa. Then, after several Visa payers, a guy steps up to the counter wanting to pay for his gear with cash. The music in the background stops, he receives dirty looks from the cashier and fans behind him, the cashier and he exchange money, and as the next person in line steps up with his Visa, the merry music begins again. Then the final screen of the advertisement reads "Life takes Visa."

Let's dissect the real meaning of this ad. I think it says, "Hey, don't pay cash if you can for your purchases. Pay with a credit card instead, and then you can not only pay once for your item, you can pay for it over and over again in interest. Or maybe you won't pay for it at all, and then you can declare bankruptcy and start all over again." What kind of message is Visa trying to send to the viewers? It's obviously not financial responsibility. But then again, if people were financially responsibile, then how would Visa make all of its money? I'm not against credit cards - I rarely carry cash and use mine all of the time. But with the financial state many Americans are in right now, I think the commercial is not portraying a healthy way of spending money.

On to the next advertisement - the one on the radio. This one I heard this past weekend coming home from vacation. I'm not positive which beer was being advertised, but I'm pretty sure it was Busch beer. The tag line at the end of the advertisement said this: "If at the end of the weekend you have a clear conscience, then you either have a really bad memory or a really boring life." I have two things to say about this philosophy. First, if having a clear conscience means having a boring life, then I will take the boring life any day. And second, I have a clear conscience after the weekend (and on the weekdays for that matter,) and I don't consider my life all that boring. Maybe I just have a different kind of fun than the people on the radio.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb,
That's a really good response to those ads. I think you should send your opinion to VISA and see what reply you get. I'd like to use this blog in my ad unit for class. This particular campaign has been running a short while with different products.
Mom

October 29, 2007 8:37 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

You go, girl!!!

(The visa one bothered me too, and I haven't heard the beer one yet.)

October 29, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger Toevs said...

I haven't seen or heard either of these ads. I am curious what Dave Ramsey (the "Financial Peace" guru) would have to say about the Visa ad. :-) He is all about paying cash and cancelling all credit cards.
I would be the one stopping all the music... I would also be the one with the clear conscience and "boring life".

October 29, 2007 9:28 PM  
Blogger jenny marvin mealy said...

Oh Deb-I have ranted about the Visa ads for some time now-there are several similar ones that insinuate paying with cash is bad. I think is a dangerous statement to push on people today!

I haven't heard the other, but I agree with you!!

October 31, 2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Preach it, Cool Sis.

Was that 94.3?

You're not listening to 94.7, are you?

Shame, shame, shame..... :)

November 02, 2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hahaha - I only use to listen to 94.7 when I wanted to hear the
Colts pre or post game show. Actually, when I heard the beer commercial, we were on the way home from Florida listening to the Colts game - so it WAS kind of like it was 94.7 - the Tennessee version at least.

The girls must be getting along okay if you got a chance to get on the computer. I guess the same goes for here, too.

November 02, 2007 9:12 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

It's halftime of the Colts/Patriots game. I've had a dozen heart attacks in the first half already!!!!!

How are you holding out?

GO COLTS!!!!

November 04, 2007 5:55 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I HATED that loss. I literally feel sick.

The pundits will have a hay day with this.

I don't think I'll listen to them.

:-(

November 04, 2007 7:32 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Wow - - - it must have been even worse for you than it was for me, you're so crushed you can't even TALK about it!!!!

November 05, 2007 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home